Optimizing metering asset operation for Eau de Paris
Saft’s innovative Meter Life Analysis service is helping the water utility serving Paris to secure the availability of its metering infrastructure.
Eau de Paris is the utility responsible for the production and distribution of water in the city of Paris. Its activities are coordinated from a water control centre and it manages a fleet of water meters operated by telemetry, which were deployed 10 years ago.
- Get accurate determination of the remaining life of Eau de Paris’s installed base of meters, based on the actual conditions experienced by the meters in the field
- Optimize management of metering assets by implementing a conditionbased maintenance approach
Key customer benefits
- In depth analysis providing key information to determine the best metering asset management strategy
- Comprehensive facts & figures test reports leading to fully informed decision making for asset maintenance and/or renewal
- Better knowledge and expertise in battery ageing processes and solutions to detect and manage the parameters that influence battery life
- Fast service: completion within 4 months from the initial order
- Application to Saft and other manufacturers batteries
Ensuring continuity of customer service and data retrieval
The Meter Life analysis service is based on the evaluation of health and ageing process of the meters by measuring and testing a representative sample of batteries collected from the field. Tests include:
- Analysis of the mechanical integrity of the batteries (corrosion, leakage or cracks, loss of their hermetic seal)
- Remaining battery capacity determination by Saft’s specific chemical analysis of the electrodes
- Discharged capacity and self-discharge evaluation, by using induced coupled plasma analysis of discharge compounds from electrochemical reactions
- Passivation state of the batteries assessed by complex impedance measurement
- Data analysis and evaluation of daily battery consumption based on actual field conditions
The Meter Life Analysis service enables to identity the parameters influencing the ageing process (temperature, location, humidity, type of metering device) and the possible technical solutions to optimize battery life.
Note: state of the art tests are performed by a Saft production laboratory using special test equipment with analysis of results by highly trained experts.
For more than 10 years, Saft has provided batteries for Eau de Paris’s many different brands, makes and models of Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) systems that serve 99% of Parisian buildings. To meet our specific requirement, Saft has designed and deployed a service to check the actual power consumption of installed batteries. By performing laboratory analysis and then correlating the results with life expectancy data, Saft can accurately estimate the remaining service life of devices and equipment that are deployed across our fleet.Olivier Roy Metering, Metrology and Smart Metering / Water Distribution / Eau de Paris
Saft’s vision for service
Saft has always been known for the quality of its products and technology. They are now fully supported with high quality and responsive service of battery systems. Training, installation, maintenance, fleet management and e-supervision are all included within Saft’s growing ‘Service’ portfolio.
Download Case Study
Related Articles, Stories & Events
Contact our Saft Specialists
To ensure we can respond as efficiently as possible. Please complete this form which will be delivered to our team of experts who will help you with your enquiry.
In accordance with the provisions of the personal data protection regulation, Saft Groupe SAS as data controller will process your data for the purposes of providing the services and for its legitimate interest. Any mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
In accordance with current regulations, you have the right to access, correct, delete and object to the use of your personal data. You may ask for your personal data to be sent to you and you have the right to give instructions for the use of your personal data after your death. You can also ask for restriction of the data, portability of the data and/or make a claim to the CNIL (the French data protection agency). For any request please send it to GDPR@saftbatteries.com or to the following address:
Saft Groupe SAS
26, quai Charles Pasqua
92300 Levallois-Perret – France
Find out more