Saft batteries provide backup power for critical oil exploration systems in the Caspian Sea
Rechargeable SBL nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries provide eight hours of power to support for critical systems.
Reliable backup power for critical systems
Oil exploration sites the world over are known for their inhospitable environment and the operation on the island of Kashagan in the Caspian Sea is no exception. Borri SpA, a specialist in the design and manufacture of power electronic equipment, was contracted to install 26 UPS systems and specified Saft rechargeable Ni-Cd battery systems for power storage.
The aim was to guarantee operation of critical systems including gas treatment and sulphur plants, telecommunications and satellite systems and consumption in the main building.
- Power for UPS systems to supply eight hours of operation for essential plant at 110 V DC and 230 V AC
- 26 sets of Saft SBL rechargeable batteries with mounting racks were installed to provide backup power
- Largest system comprised two parallel strings of 300 SBL, 12560 Ah, block batteries
- Ni-Cd batteries offer reliable service despite temperature extremes of – 36˚C and + 40˚C
Long and predictable battery life
With applications including power backup, engine starting and bulk energy storage, Saft’s SBL Ni-Cd batteries offer peace of mind thanks to low maintenance requirements and a long service life of three to 100 hours. The range has been designed with thick electrode plates for applications where the battery is required to provide relatively low current but for a long period.
Saft battery systems – key features
- Designed to be ideal for reliable backup power in applications at refineries, power plants, onshore and offshore oil and gas, substations, airports and building infrastructure.
- Cell construction is rugged to ensure a long life and complies with and exceeds the requirements of the IEC 60623 standard.
- Ni-Cd batteries are ideally suited to the Kashagan application due to their ability to operate in extreme temperatures.
- Low TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) compared with lead-acid batteries due to their long life, low down-time and low maintenance requirements.
Saft block batteries L type - key benefits
- Designed for backup power for critical systems
- Reliable power over relatively long discharge periods from three to 100 hours
- A life of at least 20 years with a low total cost of ownership
- Ni-Cd cells resistant to internal corrosion and do not suffer ‘sudden death syndrome’
- Stability and reliability despite extreme temperature conditions
- Low maintenance cells only require topping up every 18 months
Download Case Study
Related Articles, Stories & Events
Contact our Saft Specialists
To ensure we can respond as efficiently as possible. Please complete this form which will be delivered to our team of experts who will help you with your enquiry.
In accordance with the provisions of the personal data protection regulation, Saft Groupe SAS as data controller will process your data for the purposes of providing the services and for its legitimate interest. Any mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
In accordance with current regulations, you have the right to access, correct, delete and object to the use of your personal data. You may ask for your personal data to be sent to you and you have the right to give instructions for the use of your personal data after your death. You can also ask for restriction of the data, portability of the data and/or make a claim to the CNIL (the French data protection agency). For any request please send it to GDPR@saft.com or to the following address:
Saft Groupe SAS
26, quai Charles Pasqua
92300 Levallois-Perret – France
Find out more