SPH engine starting nickel battery
Ensuring your startup applications start
Cranking up an emergency diesel generator engine or switching on heaters, pumps or other equipment demands reliable batteries that operate at any temperature.
SPH HIGH POWER nickel battery solutions recover their voltage instantaneously, making them the ideal choice for starting applications off-shore, on-shore, on industrial production lines, and in critical buildings such as hospitals.
Features & Benefits
Reliability in critical situations
- Perfect choice for UPS, engine starting and many other high-rate discharge duties
- Designed for applications demanding a relatively high current over short periods
- Provide very high currents of up to 20 times a battery's nominal capacity
- Made from tested and proven Ni-Cd sintered/PBE plate technology
- Low installation and maintenance costs and no need for water for up to 10 years
- High power density, fast recharge, narrow voltage window
- Extremely long life
- Typical discharge range from one second to 30 minutes
- SPH Nickel battery capacity range: 11 Ah to 320 Ah (C5 A rate)
- Operates in extreme temperatures from - 20°C to + 50°C and tolerates - 50°C to + 70°C for short periods
- Long life time of over 20 years
- High resistance to electrical abuse
- Small voltage window
- Smaller capacity battery by providing high power in a constrained voltage window
An Environmentally Sound Solution
- Manufacturing process and recycling capability ensure lowest CO2 footprint
- Wide temperature range, saving energy consumption of battery rooms (HVAC, Heating)
- Long operational life of over 20 years, at least 3 times longer than lead-acid batteries
- Lowest total cost of ownership
Closing the loop on responsible production
Saft operates the only plant in the world that produces nickel-cadmium batteries incorporating metals that have been reclaimed on site from spent batteries, reducing their eco-footprint. Recycling Ni-Cd batteries is a complex process that involves separating the nickel, cobalt and cadmium from the electrodes, a process perfected by Saft’s plant in Oskarshamn, Sweden – the only one worldwide involved in both the recycling and manufacturing of Ni-Cd batteries and incorporating recycled metals.
Saft operates a network of over 30 bring back points worldwide that receive spent Ni-Cd batteries produced at Saft factories, as well as those made by its competitors. The bring back point located in northern Europe brings these used batteries back to Oskarshamn, minimizing transportation. Other bring back points work with other fully permitted recycling partners selected by Saft to ensure that the recovery rates mandated imposed by the EU battery directive are met.
Saft was awarded a top rating in 2021 by Ecovadis, a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rating organization for sustainable development performance, scoring in the 96th percentile on: environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement.
Rack product brochureProduct brochure Download (English)
SPH product brochureProduct brochure
Cell topping-up Ni-Cd equipment (AC)Product datasheet Download (English)
Cell topping-up Ni-Cd equipment (DC)Product datasheet Download (English)
SPH I&O sheetProduct I&O sheet
Ni-Cd BIS battery information sheetBattery Information Sheet (BIS)
Saft batteries take to the seas with Royal Caribbean InternationalCustomer case study Download (English)
To ensure we can respond as efficiently as possible. Please complete this form which will be delivered to our team of experts, who will help you with your enquiry.
In accordance with the provisions of the personal data protection regulation, Saft Groupe SAS as data controller will process your data for the purposes of providing the services and for its legitimate interest. Any mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
In accordance with current regulations, you have the right to access, correct, delete and object to the use of your personal data. You may ask for your personal data to be sent to you and you have the right to give instructions for the use of your personal data after your death. You can also ask for restriction of the data, portability of the data and/or make a claim to the CNIL (the French data protection agency). For any request please send it to GDPR@saft.com or to the following address:
Saft Groupe SAS
26, quai Charles Pasqua
92300 Levallois-Perret – France
Find out more